Northeast Baptist School (NBS) believes that athletics is one element of our school that encourages the development of our student athletes to become productive citizens and to develop their abilities and attitudes for success in life. We believe that athletics should be regarded as a vital part of our school’s total education package and as an extension of the classroom. Developing physical capacities complements and enhances the emotional, intellectual, social, and spiritual development of our student athletes.
We encourage student participation and want to involve as much of our school family as possible in a Christ-honoring, competitive experience. All participants regardless of ability will have the opportunity to develop their work ethic, social skills, sense of commitment, and athletic skills.
Our scriptural motivation flows from Colossians 3:23: “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not men. (NIV)” There are many things we cannot control but we can control our attitudes, character and effort. We will seek to glorify God by how we play and by how we relate to our team, the other team, and the officials.
Points of emphasis:
- Athletes are students first. Athletics is just one dimension of what we offer here at NBS.
- Success depends on cooperation and support from everyone in the school, not just the athletes.
- Sportsmanship is expected from everyone associated with NBS Athletics – athletes, coaches, teachers, parents, and spectators.
- The safety of the athletes should be first and foremost.
- The goal is to win, but to win the correct way. We will never sacrifice character for wins!